Things that you may not know about Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Did you know that..
- Hippocrates, the Father of Medicine who lived 3000 years ago, used to suggest the consumption of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on a daily basis for its beneficial properties.
- It is the main source of fat in the Mediterranean diet and the good news are that you can make some delicious meals with it!
- In comparison to fats of animal origin, Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a source of monounsaturated acids and does not contain cholesterol or great amount of saturated fatty acids.
- WHO (World Health Organization) suggests the replacement of saturated fatty acids (animal origin fat) with monounsaturated (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and polyunsaturated (fish, nuts) fatty acids.
According to ancient Greeks (that today’s scientific studies confirm), Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a real dietetic treasure for our health!
- Many scientific studies have related the consumption of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the protection from various diseases, such as cardiovascular disease.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil is characterized as anti-inflammatory due to its polyphenol content. More specifically, oleocanthal, is able to reduce the inflammation in a similar way as ibuprofen does. That is why Extra Virgin Olive Oil has the potential to provide protection from some types of cancer.
- Many scientific studies, have shown that the oleocanthal, that is found in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, could be used as a weapon against Alzheimer’s disease.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a great source of vitamin E, a fat soluble vitamin with antioxidant properties that provide healthy skin and body.
Thanks to its vitamins, carotenoids and polyphenols, Extra Virgin Olive Oil consists of an alliance for our health that boosts our immune system!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, according to scientific studies helps your body against osteoporosis.
- A spoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil every morning before your breakfast provides energy and is used to fight some digestive malfunctions such as constipation.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil has been used as a cosmetic ingredient for centuries, due to its conditioning, moisturizing and revitalizing properties.
- There is an explanation why some Extra Virgin Olive Oils are more expensive than others. In many cases, this is related to the quality of the product.
Be suspicious! A cheap Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is cheap for a reason.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil of high quality can be bitter due to its high polyphenol content. Do not regard bitterness as a defect, it is not always the case.
- The color of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil is not a quality sign. It is just related to the olive variety and the content of chlorophyll.
- The more familiarized you get with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, the more you will love it and appreciate it!
By Virgilliant Team